Member of Education Committee, China Fashion Color Association
Vice-director, Committee of Display Art, Interior Design Division, China Architecture Association
Member of Association of China Folk Arts and Crafts
Member of Ming-style Furniture Committee, Association of China Folk Arts and Crafts
Display Art Design & Research
Research on China Urban Residential Environment for the Aging
When it comes to display art, as an increasing number of people believe that “emphasize more on decoration than on finishing” in recent years, they realized that display art has incomparable effects on building spatial personality, emphasizing atmosphere and creating indoor artistic ambience. Display art has been given more and more attention, and has become a new field of design and research. My research starts from the basic concepts, evolution of style, design principles, design approaches, and working process etc. of display art, and tries to integrate basic theoretical knowledge and practical methods to come up with a brand-new spatial design concept, and explore this new academic field that is easy yet abstruse.
Design and research of display art study the proper collocation of all movable objects in space such as furniture, fabric, painting, sculpture, electronic appliances and plants etc. according to the functional and spiritual demands. It aims to deeply explore the principles and approaches of proper collocation in human residential space such as public halls, offices and houses with diversified spatial design styles. Its purposes are to offer advanced design concepts, improve common people’s awareness on home decor, teach simple and practical operational methods, offer technical guidance and design services for producers and manufacturers, and establish a basis for China’s theoretical research and application on display art.
My research focuses on whether the urban residential areas for the elderly in China are rationally and properly designed. It aims to deeply explore and conduct a target research on how the elderly people in China’s cities spend their days, how they extend their self-care, how they properly arrange the object display in their residential areas etc. under the background of an aging population. Based on a great amount of door-to-door interview and genuine measurement of the elderly people’s body sizes, we summarized the problems influencing the their life and their real demands. The research results can offer effective and direct references for architects, interior designers, and home furnishers and manufacturers. Therefore, it’s a subject with practical significance.
The subject has been applied to be one of the key projects in Beijing and national “Eleventh Five-Year Plan” on philosophical and social science research. During the early stage, we found that the aging population in Chinese cities have unhealthy habits, which is somewhat related to the lack of education in this generation. They were only required to study and work, but none of them spend much effort to cultivate the right habits. Hence, the research of this subject doesn’t just serve the aging population, but more importantly, it also serves for the future generation, i.e. today’s young people, to help them build good residential habits. Therefore, the research has a more comprehensive significance.
1. Published Display Design, a higher education textbook under the 11th Five-Year Plan”, China Youth Press, September, 2007, ISBN 978-7-5006-7735-2
2. Published a book Collection of Contemporary Famous Youth Interior Designers—Collection 2 of Cheng Mulin, China Construction Materials Industry Press, January, 2005, ISBN 7-80159-848-2
3. Published a book Collection of Contemporary Famous Youth Interior Designers—Collection 1 of Cheng Mulin, China Construction Materials Industry Press, October, 2002, ISBN 7-112-05151-7
4. Editor of Second Volume of Collection on Interior Designs—Decoration & Display, China Architectural Industry Press, February, 1999, ISBN 9-787112-040-889.
5. Papers of Research Interest:
(1) “ First-hand Experience on Design—the Design Language Presented by Villas in Silicon Valley”, Architecture of 100 Years, January, 2006, the 40th one, P92-P93.
(2) “Villas in Silicon Valley”, Famous Architecture Works, February, 2006，P8-P11.
6. Finished Projects:
(1) Interior design and display design of the show house and club at Beijing Overseas Chinese Town;
(2) Display design of Beidaihe Red Islet sales office and show house;
(3)Environmental design of the opening ceremony of “Great Victory—Large-scale Theme Exhibition in Honor of the 60th Anniversary of China's Anti-Japanese War and the World's Anti-Fascism War”;
(4) Environmental design of Li Dazhao’s residence rehabilitation in Beijing;
(5) Display design of Hillside Sea-View Villa;
(6) Environmental design of the 17th CPC National Congress;
(7) Artwork Display of the 1st Phase of Construction of Line 10 of Beijing Subway.
7. Current Research:
(1) Introduction to Display Design by Li Sa, Liaoning Art Publishing House, published in 2010.
(2) Display Artistic Design by Li Sa, Central Radio and TV University Publishing House, published in 2010.
(3) Display Artistic Design, a lecture by Li Sa recorded by Central Radio and TV University as an instruction film and played in Spring, 2011 on CCTV Education Channel.
(4) “Spatial Rationality, Health and Harmony—Survey and Research on Scientific-ness of China Urban Aging People’s Residential Dimension”. Program Director: Li Sa; 2008 Beijing Municipal Philosophical and Social Science Program, Type: common, October, 2008—December, 2010.
(5) “Livable Beijing—Research on Beijing Aging Population’s Residential Environment”, Program Director: Li Sa. This program has been listed as one of the key projects in 2009 Beijing and national “Eleventh Five-Year Plan” on philosophical and social science research, and was also included in the national philosophical and social science program “Research on Beijing’s Livability”.
(1) In May, 2007, “Great Victory—Large-scale Theme Exhibition in Honor of the 60th Anniversary of China's Anti-Japanese War and the World's Anti-Fascism War” has won the special award of “National Museum Top 10 Best Exhibitions”;
(2) In August, 2004, “Example on Interior Design of Hillside Sea-View Villa Model House” won Award of Excellence at “the 5th Biennale on Interior Design”;
(3) In September, 2002, “Central Display Area of the Tourist City of Shenzhen –Promotion of Sea-moon Show House Project” won the Award of Excellence at “the 4th Biennale on Interior Design in China”;
Display Art Design, Environmental Color Design, Architectural Decorative Patterns, Charting and Perspective, Design Expression, Public Facilities Design, Exhibition Design