Member of Interior Designer Accreditation Board of China National Interior Decoration Association
Member of Expert Panel for Government Procurement Bid Evaluation, Beijing Municipality
Rural environmental design and theoretical research
Material construction and spatial design research
As a systematic, comprehensive and professional discipline, Environmental Art & Design covers many disciplines. It is a subject where technology and art, and reasons and emotions are intertwined together, forming a huge system. With the rapid development of modern society, a variety of new materials and modern technology have been improved accordingly, resulting in higher requirements for the quality of exterior and interior space and environment. Exterior and interior design is now more than the piling of materials in the space. Materials can not exist alone in the space, they need to be dealt with by a reasonable approach to form the structure, and a reasonable structure shall also coexist with the support and synergy of temperature, humidity, ventilation, lighting, fire protection and the other factors. This will naturally elevate the standards for technology and implementation of a design work. As the professional language for exhibiting design concept and design expression, materials and structures focus on details and transition between zones in interior design and landscape design[h1] , and they will beyond doubts be quite important for us to systematically understand and completely master the environment art and design. Currently, people tend to emphasize concepts and creative ideas while overlook the functions and rational decisions, and this will easily lead to inconsistence between teaching and practice, and ignore the functional and social nature of designs. Therefore, designs would definitely deviate from the teaching, and result in an unbalanced knowledge structure of the students. As a result, as an important element and direction of environment art and design, materials and space structures must emphasize on the combination of basic and prospective nature and the integration of rational knowledge and image interpretation. We should carry out in-depth analysis and establish the system of materials and structures while paying more attention to the macro sense of design; we should attach importance to the practicability and particularity while clarifying the academic ideas; we should cover the knowledge that students shall mater while emphasizing on the key teaching points and critical thinking.
In the modern society, people attach great importance to “life quality” while ignoring the “death quality (respects)” contained within “life quality”. Death, as a part of life, shall not be avoided. However, in today’s China, it is out of people’s mind, and a systematic research on space and environment design of funeral home is still not in place, which is far behind the development of Chinese society today. Some space and environment design of funeral home is only a poor practice of engineering, lacking in-depth theoretical discussion, in particular, the humanistic concerns. In addition, most of the designs can only meet the basic functions and low-end demands.
Funeral home, the place for funeral services and paying respect to the dead, is our last stop in the material world; however, in fact, it is a place built to provide services to those who are alive. In a funeral home, life and death exist together, as it provides services for the dead and those who attend the funeral at the same time. Therefore, its humanistic concern should cover both “life” and “after-life”. In consequence, along with the rapid urbanization and increasingly serious issue of the aging population, the importance of funeral home shall not be ignored as it is a critical part of environment art and design, translating the idea of “people-oriented” into “living-oriented”. Obviously, the studies on this field will be useful for the public and designers to properly understand the real spiritual meanings and the right methods of building funeral homes, and improve the spiritual and cultural civilization of people. My research strives to further examine the environment art and design of funeral homes, and developing a reasonable, improved and civilized manner for space design of funeral home, keeping in pace with the development while considering the inherent features of different cities, ethnics, regions and classes.
1. Materials, Structures and Craftsmanship, a multimedia network textbook, was published by Tsinghua Tongfang Networks Operation and Education Department, June 2001.
2. The Tao of Wallpapers, China Architecture Newspaper, March 19-26, 2005.
3. Decoration Structure and Construction Drawing Design, written by LI Chaoyang, was designated as the National 11th Five-Year Plan Textbook and published by China Architecture and Building Press in August 2005;
4. On the Application of Material Languages in Interior Space Design, Decoration magazine, No.10 Issue of 2006;
5. Interpretation of Material Languages from Inspirations of Materials: Application of Decoration Materials and the Exploration of its Expression, China Architecture and Building Press, in September 2007;
6. Decoration Materials and Structures, written by LI Chao-yang, published by Anhui Fine Art Press in December 2006;
7. The Bottom Line for Design Creation, Interior Architecture of China (IAOC) in February 208;
8. On the Visual and Tactile Perception of Materials in Interior Spaces, Collected Papers of 2008 Annual Conference (Zhenzhou City) & International Academic Exchange Workshops, Institute of Interior Design of Architectural Society of China (CIID), published by Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press;
9. Construction of Spiritual Space in Funeral Home Design, Collected Papers of 2008 Annual Conference (Zhenzhou City) & International Academic Exchange Workshops, Institute of Interior Design of Architectural Society of China (CIID), published by Huazhong University of Science and Technology Press in January 2008;
10. 21st Century Textbook for Environment Art and Design, won first prize at Education and Teaching (Higher Education) of Beijing in September 2001;
11. 21st Century Textbook for Environment Art and Design, won second prize at National Teaching Results in December 2001;
12. Humanity Design and Concept of Scientific Development, won Excellence Award on 2005 Annual Conference of Institute of Interior Design of Architectural Society of China (CIID) in October 2005;
13. Honor Award of IAID China’s Most Influential Designers by China Building Decoration Association (CBDA) in October 2005;
14. Honor Award of National Top 100 Excellent Interior Architect by Institute of Interior Design of Architectural Society of China (CIID) in February 2007;
15. Honor Award of National Established Senior Interior Architect by China Building Decoration Association (CBDA) in April 2008;
16. Award at China Interior Design Master by China National Interior Decoration Association in December 2008;
17. Material Structures and Construction Technology, in process, and will be published by Central Radio & TV University Press in February 2011;
18. Exterior and Interior Detail Structure and Construction Drawing Design, in process, and will be published by China Architecture and Building Press in February 2011;
Materials and structures, design standards and budgets, construction drawings design, interior space and structure design.