Degree: Double Master Degrees
Professional Title: Associate Professor
Deputy Director, Department of Visual Communication Design
Director of the OMD Contemporary Design Terminal
Academic director of the design hall for the Today Art Museum
Curator of the Netherlands Architecture Institute
Art director of FRAME, MARK, and Design Management magazines
Urban Visual Culture
Today, China's urbanization, which is in full swing, is mainly carried out with architecture as the core. For a city, architecture does form the materials and space of the city. However, from another perspective, if we take the human being as the core of urban development, we would find that, in fact, it is human existence and social relations that build the city. Visual culture of cities is not only a mirror that can show the essence of urban life, but is also a core driving force behind continuous changes in the city’s growth and evolution after the formation of architectures.
Li Degeng regards such a force as Another Architecture. It is closely related with people’s sense of living and activities, and its keywords include orientation, identification, reading, connecting and disconnecting and so on.
● In 2000-2003, Li Degeng researched on the development of visual design by contemporary German youth, and published Current Design in Europe series (published by China Youth Press).
● In 2004-2008, he researched on the development context and social energy of communication design in the Dutch society, with the results including the book Social Energy (published by Graphic Communications Press), documentary Social Energy, series of exhibitions and forums (held in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Chengdu), and Contemporary Communication Design from the Netherlands book series (published by Gansu People’s Fine Arts Publishing House).
● In 2009, he researched on the status of product design research in contemporary China, and planned "Design in China" exhibition and academic forum (Today Art Museum), published Design in China (published by the Culture and Art Publishing House), in which he was an important writer.
● In 2009-2010, he researched on cross-disciplinary design practices and the stances of the current society in China and the Netherlands, and served as the curator and academic moderator for “Taking a Stance - 8 Critical Attitudes in Chinese and Dutch Architecture and Design” exhibitions and serial forums (Shanghai Dutch Culture Center, Beijing Today Art Museum, the Academy of Arts & Design at Tsinghua University, The Oct Art & Design Gallery, and Kunsthal NAi Rotterdam)
● In 2010, he acted as a co-curator for the exhibition of urban bilingual visual cultures and research in Culturescapes Basel in Switzerland.
● From 2010 to date, he has been the academic leader of the Swiss “Tourism and Design” research project.
Introduction to Visual Communication
Introduction to Design
Modern Plastic Art